PROVISIONS OF THE 4th INTERNATIONAL BALTIC SEA CHOIR COMPETITION
1. PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION
- The International Baltic Sea Choir Competition invites mixed, female, and male amateur choirs (16-49 signers).
- After evaluation of choir submissions, maximum of 15 (fifteen) choirs will be accepted for the competition.
- Each country will be represented by no more than 3 (three) choirs.
- Choirs awarded with the Grand Prix prize in any of the previous International Baltic Sea Choir Competitions cannot take part at the competition for the following 3 (three) years.
- Choirs are obliged to participate in the competition’s Opening concert and both competition programs, as well as they should be ready to perform at Grand Prix
- Participants will be evaluated by an international jury comprising of 5members -choir music professionals. There will be 1 Latvian and 4 foreign representatives.
- The Jury evaluates each choir's performance in 4 qualities.
1. Technical performance
3. Degree of complexity of the program
4. Overall impression.
Each quality is evaluated giving points from 1- 25, summing up maximum 100 points. The final number of points is calculated as the average of all Jury evaluations.
After performances of compositions at the compulsory and free program categories, the Jury will establish at least 5 choirs to compete for Grand Prix. The choirs for Grand Prix will be evaluated independently of results of the previous stages.
- All results, including those of Grand Prix, will be announced during the closing ceremony on Sunday. Decision of the jury is final and cannot be contested.
- All choirs will receive evaluation from each of the Jury member for their performance of the compulsory and free programs.
- A fully filled in application form;
- A record of at least 3 a cappella compositions of various styles sung by the choir (as a CD, DVD, or a link on YouTube. The records cannot be made before 2017);
- A short description about the choir in English (max. 250 words);
- A quality photo of the choir.
- The choirs accepted for the competition must approve their participation by paying a participation fee in the amount of 300 EUR and a fee in amount of 20EUR for each participating person after receiving an invoice issued by the organisers.
- The participants will be provided by meals during the competition days – on Friday (late lunch), on Saturday (lunch and dinner) and on Sunday (lunch after the Award ceremony at the after party).
- Accommodation and travel expenses are covered by each choir. The competition’s organisers provide special hotel offers made exclusively for participants. The choirs may search for accommodation by themselves, however, it is mandatory that the place of accommodation is in Jūrmala. For more convenient mobility options during the competition, we recommend accommodation in a walking distance from the venue of the competition, Dzintari Concert Hall.
- All rights to audio and video records, and photos made during the competition are owned by the competition’s organisers. The choirs will not be remunerated for recording of their performance.
- Participants of the competition approve that they have are aware of the competition’s provisions when sending the application form.
- By 1 September, 2019, the choirs, which will be accepted for participation in the competition, should send 6 (six) original copies of sheet music of all compositions for needs of the jury and for a competition’s archive. (5 copies of each sheet music will be returned after the competition). The duplicates of the sheet music may be used only with written permission of a publisher or composer.
2. PROGRAMS OF THE COMPETITION
Within the 4th International Baltic Sea Choir Competition, there will be an Opening concert (the choirs will not be evaluated) and three competition stages.
All programs of the competition should be performed following the indicated sequence.
2.1 Opening Concert at Dubulti Church
Participation in the opening concert is obligatory.
- For the opening concert, each choir should present their country-specific program not exceeding 5 minutes. When choosing repertoire, it should be noted that the opening concert will take place at church.
- Compositions of the opening concert may not be included in the competition’s stages.
- Piano and other music instruments are not available at the Opening concert Venue.
2.2 Compulsory Program
- Compulsory composition of the competition. Sheet music of the composition will be available after June 1, 2019.
- A composition from the Romantic period of choir’s own choice.
- A composition, written after 2000, of choir’s own choice.
- A folk song of the participating choir’s country, in unison.
Length of the compulsory program: 12-15 minutes (in case of not observing the time limit, the jury may grant penalty points), and the program should be performed a capella.
2.3 Free Program
The free program should include at least 2 (two) compositions.
- The choirs may not repeat the compositions from the compulsory program.
- There may be an instrumental accompaniment to one composition of the free program. (A piano will be available at the venue. Other musical instruments will not be provided.)
Length of the free program: 8-10 minutes (in case of not observing the time limit, the jury may grant penalty points).
2.4 Grand Prix
- The program of Grand Prix must include 3 compositions.
- Only one composition may be repeated from the compulsory or free program.
- In one composition of the Grand Prix program, both pitched and unpitched musical instruments may be used, while piano in this category may not be used.
Length of Grand Prix competition: 10-12 minutes (in case of not observing the time limit, the jury may grant penalty points).
- Participants achieving 3 highest results at the Grand Prix category will be awarded with monetary prizes:
- 1stplace — winner of Grand Prix — 3500 EUR and a winners’ cup
- 2ndplace — 2000 EUR
- 3rdplace — 1000 EUR
- All choirs will receive a diploma for their participation in the 2nd International Baltic Sea Choir Competition.
- ADDITIONAL AWARDS:
- Best conductor’s prize — 500 EUR
- Best performance of the compulsory composition — 250 EUR
- Audience Award
- The Jury may decide on their Special prize.